Thursday, October 31, 2002

"I never hugged my radio so closely as I did last night. I held a crucifix in my hand and prayed while looking out of my open window for falling meteors. I also wanted to get a faint whiff of the gas so that I would know when to close my window and hermetically seal my room with waterproof cement or anything else I could get hold of. My plan was to stay in the room and hope that I would not suffocate before the gas blew away. When the monsters were wading across the Hudson River and coming into New York, I wanted to run up on my roof to see what they looked like, but I could not leave my radio while it was telling me of their whereabouts."
-Mrs. Delaney, an ardent Catholic from a New York suburb

1938: Orson Welles and his Mercury Theatre of the Air present a radio adaptation of "War of the Worlds."

Martians have been on my mind lately......

No comments: